Many programs claim to improve the health of older adults. Few can demonstrate real results based on sound scientific research. From the beginning, EnhanceFitness — a program managed by Senior Services
(Seattle, WA) in collaboration with the University of Washington Health Promotion Research Center
— has demonstrated measurable results.
It gives me something to look forward to. The exercises strengthen my limbs, I'm more active, I feel better, I'm not just lying around the house. - EnhanceFitness Participant
The pilot study began in 1993 at Northshore Senior Center in Bothell, WA and the response from participants was immediate and overwhelmingly positive.
Even before the pilot study ended, participants were requesting to use the program as a permanent exercise activity at the center. Not only were the older adults excited about participating, but study measures showed that the group improved significantly in almost every dimension tested, from physical and social functioning to levels of pain and depression. The pilot results, published in the Journal of American Geriatrics Society
, showed that the program significantly improved overall fitness and health.
The original independent study demonstrated that participants realized:
13% improvement in social function
52% improvement in depression
35% improvement in physical functioning
Why choose EnhanceFitness?
There are many reasons to choose EnhanceFitness as your organization’s evidence-based physical activity program:
- EnhanceFitness does not require expensive equipment or a large space; you can have it up and running at your facility in no time.
- EnhanceFitness is an ongoing group physical activity program, available for participants three times a week, every week!
- You will receive A Guide to Successfully Implementing EnhanceFitness to help you market and implement your classes.
- Your certified fitness instructors will receive special training and a detailed manual, which will give them the expertise they need to lead three, one-hour classes each week and measure participants’ progress.
- You can have access to a web-based data collection reporting system and standardized outcomes reports for participants, your agency and your funders.
- As an evidence-based program, you know that when you implement EnhanceFitness you can expect results.
- Rather than reaching only one older adult, you can make an impact on a greater number in your community. EnhanceFitness is the original physical activity intervention tested on a group of older adults and proven in community-based settings.
- When you join, you join a national network of award-winning EnhanceFitness affililiates.